Sunday, November 8, 2015

ComicCons Aren’t Events, They are Happenings.

It seems like everyone has at least one story where they talk about a thought that sounded great in their head but sounded ridiculous when they said it.  This is a story of something I was positive I knew in my head UNTIL I went to say it.




Before we dive into this story, I should point something out.  Despite my love for all things comics this was the first time that I put any significant thought, or money, into cosplay.  As you can see below, The Winter Soldier was nominated to be my alter ego during ComicCon.  I was told that any costume that contributed to covering up my entire face was preferable.  (I could only assume they meant that too many people recognizing me would cause massive outcries for my autograph and private photo sessions.)



But I digress...

I think you will agree that a ComicCon is not just a place that you go or a thing that you do...it’s a living, breathing organism.  Whether you are there to meet the cast of Sons of Anarchy, to explore the many iterations of “Doctor Who”, to dress up as a character who can snuff a planet with a sneeze, or to spend your child’s college account on all the variations of Spider-Man #700, you are with at least one other like-minded person.  How and why that happened was clear in my head until that fateful moment I was asked to explain it to someone.

picture wavy lines and “time traveling” music to signify that I am thinking back in time....

It was during the above photo session that my daughter and I were queried by a woman with a list of questions that, really, seemed to be one big question.

“Why do people do this type of thing?  There are alot of them right?  I mean, what’s the fascination with people coming here and playing dress-up?  What’s the draw of it all?”

There wasn’t a hint of sarcasm or nastiness in her voice.  She was completely sincere.

Ummmmmmmmmmm...what?  Is this a trick question?  Who are you here with and didn’t they explain any of this to you?  

I mean, I knew the answer but I had never been asked to verbalize it before.  I didn’t know there’d be a pop quiz!  I was never good at those things!  That’s why I cheated all the t.... (never mind all that, stay focused on the story)   Looking back, that probably wasn’t the right thing to tell her.  If I could go back in time to that very second and answer it all over again, this is what I would tell her:

A ComicCon is not an event, it’s a happening.  

It’s a gathering of thousands of people who believe that the time for heroes isn’t over, because it never ended. 

They are filled with individuals who don’t question why you’re different, nor are they bothered if you’re the same, they just want their photo taken together.



Are there alot of ComicCons?  Yes, there are.  But when you look at them close enough you realize that one is merely a continuation of another with a small pilgrimage in between for a change of scenery.

They are happenings where the words “stranger” and “introvert” are never used because there aren’t any there.

They are where there are loud flourishes of creativity through ideas, costumes, pencils, and pens...not through sub-committee meetings and majority votes.

Where a signature adds hundreds of dollars to the value of something already priceless.

Where the Joker and Harley Quinn get along and Bucky is fine with, or without, Cap.



It’s where geeks and nerds are only different because they sit at the top of the food chain.

Yes, if I could speak to that woman again it would be completely different and it would include a “thank you” for reminding me not to take things for granted.


Follow The Comic Whisperer on Social Media!

Facebook:                      The Comic Whisperer
Pintrest:                         The Comic Whisperer
Twitter:                          @comic_whisperer
Website:                        www.comicwhisperer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment