Wednesday, November 4, 2015

I Put the “Needy” in "New Release Wednesday"

If I look at myself honestly, I can say that I’m not a real special guy by any stretch of the imagination.

I don’t put the “fun” in “funeral”

or

the “laughter” in “manslaughter”

or

even the “riot” in “Iron Patriot”

but I DO put the “needy” in “New Release Wednesday”  (OK, it’s a stretch but what can I say?  I’m needy.)




You and I probably have one thing in common, it’s that our week is filled with the following recipe:

           -Wake Up
           -Go to Work
           -Come Home
           -Go to Sleep
           -Repeat 


So, I literally NEED Wednesdays and the new releases that come on that day.




But, as a comic collector/lover/reader how do you maximize your Wednesdays with the local comic book emporium?  Here’s how I do it:

Start by making a list of all the comics you simply must have.  Your list can be as small or as big as your wallet can afford.  My list is big enough that I am trying to work out some way for the comic store to just do payroll deduction so my bill comes straight from my paycheck.  (Just kidding, although the idea has merit.)

Then go to your favorite website that advertises the new releases for the coming week(s).  My personal favorite is www.comiclist.com.  Tell them The Comic Whisperer sent you.  It won’t get you any type of discount or special treatment but it’ll sure make me feel good.

Check the list(s) which are sorted by publisher and see which comics on your list are coming out this week.  Make a shopping list for yourself or a “pull” list for your local comic shoppe.  (As you are probably aware, a “pull” list is a list of comics which you would like the store to set aside for you weekly.  Some stores even offer a discount if you have them pull for you weekly and pay for them weekly.  What they don’t offer is a “pull them weekly, never pay for them” plan.)

If you don’t want every issue offer to send the list of your weekly picks to the local comic store  proprietor and ask them to put the specific comics you wish to purchase aside.

Then, when Wednesday shows its beautiful face, go to the store and pick up your books! (don’t forget to pay for them, many stores frown on stealing)

If you are a collector there is a pretty good chance that if someone even touches your new comics or, God forbid, bends them, you blow a gasket.  That’s why, with my Marvel comics, I just enter the digital comic redemption code and read it on my iPad.  I then do my weekly chuckle at DC for their thought that I will purchase both a physical AND digital version (another of the many dumb decisions by the DC bean counters.)

But I digress...

Last, if you don’t do so already, you can keep track of your collection as it grows.  I highly recommend doing so on a site such as www.comicbookrealm.com if you don’t mind having it just online.  If you want to use an app to keep track, my personal favorite is a comic inventory app put out by CLZ at www.clz.com.  It’s available on the iOS platform, I’m not sure about Android.

One last thing, keep a list of the specific comics you miss, or don’t get that week, so you can shop for them at the next ComicCon!

Follow The Comic Whisperer on Social Media!

Facebook:              The Comic Whisperer
Twitter:                  @comic_whisperer
Pinterest:                The Comic Whisperer
Website:                 www.comicwhisperer.com






No comments:

Post a Comment