Monday, August 10, 2015

Old School Collecting



I am fortunate enough to live near a bagel shop that is owned by a gentleman and his wife that sells comic book art along with their deli/bagel items.   The funny thing is that he tells me his shop has been there for 12 years and I never saw it because it was on a road I don’t normally take.  Having lived here for more than 15 years I may have missed out on some good items.  The good thing is that I now know it’s there.

The gentleman is easily recognized when you walk through the door.  Not because he is the only gentleman behind the counter but because underneath the hat he wears is a crop of bright green hair.   Hair that can easily be confused with the hair of the comic book villain, the Joker.  I would put a picture of this gentleman, but I haven’t gotten his permission to do so and I don’t feel comfortable doing it.  Take my word for it, though, he looks like the Joker would if he worked at a bagel shop.

I commented on his hair and he handed me his card.  He is famous for going to ComicCons and dressing as the Joker.  It’s no secret that I live in CT and he calls himself CT Joker.  My son, knowing that there is a person who dresses as the Joker at local ComicCons, and is known for his high pitched Joker-like laugh, asked him if he was, in fact, him.  He responded by laughing this high pitched shrill laugh that could easily be that of the Joker himself.  It was him.

What a rare find, a bagel shop owned by someone who may be the Joker come to life, and it was miles from my front door.  The comic art for sale was an incredible find as well.  It will soon find it’s way onto the walls of my office.

Needless to say we all got talking comics, collecting, and the value of individual comics we have.  The topic eventually came around to old school notions about collecting and grading comic books.  I had to get in a plug for my business, so I started digging into his thoughts after collecting for 35 years himself:

“I’m The Comic Whisperer and I have a local business that is known for buying, selling and comic book grading.”

“Wow, that’s cool.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard of an independent appraiser outside of CGC doing grading on comics I see on eBay.”

“No, you won’t.  I do more of private stock for old school collectors.  I’ve been grading comics for over 40 years.  I was grading before the appraisers at CGC were even born.  I’m not criticizing them, it’s just a fact.”

“Yea, I wanted to get a comic book graded but I didn’t feel comfortable sending a valuable comic of mine through the mail not knowing who got it and how it was handled.”

“I know what you mean.  Many people feel like that and that is where my business comes in.”

I went into a gratuitous advertisement for my business that you really don’t want to read, so I’ll skip ahead.  He continued:

“I’m more old school when it comes to collecting.”

“Yep, me too.”

So, what does old school mean?  For those of you that are in your 20’s or 30’s you won’t know exactly what he is referring to, but I do (I’m way out of my 20’s and 30’s).  Old school means that you treat every comic book with care, don’t let anyone else handle them without you watching like a hawk, and you still like to read your collection.  This means you don’t get your comics sealed in a shell, you still read your comic books, you don’t send them away for a stranger to handle, and you certainly don’t sell them unless you are forced to at gunpoint.  In other words, you treat your comics with tender loving care, like your kids.  Your don’t lock your kids in a shell, you still like to talk to your kids, you don’t let strangers babysit your kids, and you would’t give them up for anything in the world.  THAT is old school.

I have to say it’s nice being old and watching how comic book collecting has evolved over the years.  I don’t always like the way the trends are going, that comics are treated like museum pieces not to be touched or read and they are sold at the drop of a hat for a profit.  But things change and that’s good, I like change.  My way isn’t always the right way and without change I’d still be riding a horse to a client’s house.

The very next day we were back at the flea market looking for good deals on comics and something hit me.  It hit me when we got to a stand that was selling an old dental hygienist chair that dates back to the 70’s (still younger than me...sigh).  There was a crowd around it of people talking about what a great find it was.  I talked to an older gentleman next to me (yes, older than me) and said:

“It looks like what was out is now coming back in.”

He nodded his head and smiled and said:

“So true, I wish that I had kept all my stuff instead of getting rid of it.  I could sell it for a fortune today.  It’s all coming full circle.”

I couldn't agree more.  All of these new fangled ideas of locking comics away never to be read again or buying them just to flip them for a buck (my apologies to those who have comic book businesses or stores, you are the exception and the reason for me living) will come to pass and the old school will come back again.  It all does come full circle.

I’ll be ready when it does and please remember who I am.  I am The Comic Whisperer.  I can be reached at any time of the day or night and comics are my life.  Please follow me at:

Facebook:         The Comic Whisperer
Twitter:             @Comic_Whisperer
Instagram:         The Comic Whisperer

I also have a charity in which I collect donations and old comic books to donate to children who are just learning to read.  You can donate at:

www.gofundme.com/comicshelpkidsread

I look forward to working with anyone who want their comics treated like they’re my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment