Thursday, July 30, 2015

Comics Help Kids Read - A New Project

I'll admit it, I'm going through something like a mid-life crisis.  I set a bunch of goals for myself as a kid and I've hit many of them.  I didn't think I'd hit them as soon as I did.  Perhaps I aimed too low?  I'm not sure, but what I do know is that I didn't set new goals and I feel like I've been wandering aimlessly for too long.

So, I put up all types of motivational sayings all over my house.  I have them in my office, I repeat them in my head, and I have them in my bathroom so I see them while I am getting ready to greet the day.  After all, Steve Jobs, may he rest in peace, used to say that the dots don't always come together when you want them to.  But when you look back on your life you see how they were being connected all along.

So, I thought to myself that I will just let the dots connect themselves.

Then it hit me.  How can I combine my love of comics with something that will make me feel as though I am doing something worthwhile with my life?

Start a charity.

So, the charity Comics Help Kids Read was launched with the purpose of putting comic books in the hands of kids who could not read to give them an incentive to try.



Doing some research on illiteracy and how comic books can help kids learn to read I was fascinated at what I found.

First, the Huffington post reported that at least 250 million of the world's 650 million primary school age children are unable to read, write, or do basic mathematics, according to a report commissioned by the U.N. Education Agency.

Second, Richard Alleyne, Science Correspondent for The Telegraph, reported that researchers believe kids can benefit from tale about the caped crusader, Superman and even Dennis the Menace in the same way they can from reading other types of literature, despite teachers and parents often being snooty about comics, according to experts.  The same article goes on to say that according to the research, experts say that reading comics is actually a "simplified version" of reading that doesn't have the complexity of "real" books with their "dense columns of words and lack of pictures."

Today is literally the first day of the charity's existence and we are very hopeful.  As a friend we are asking if you could forward this blog to others who have similar interests so we can start building this charity.  It's a way for all of us to give back.  it's also a way to keep thousands and thousands of comics, that would normally be thrown away, in the hands of kids who will appreciate them.

Should you wish to give to the charity you can do so at www.gofundme.com/comicshelpkidsread

That website also gives details as to how to donate, what the donations will be used for, and it's a way to contact us directly.  No donations or funds of any kind will go to the owners of The Comic Whisperer.

Please forward this along to friends, colleagues, relatives, or whoever else you know who would be willing to help children learn to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment