Friday, October 16, 2015

This Review is Rated ‘R’ - A Review of Skottie Young’s “I Hate Fairyland"

I saw the title “I Hate Fairyland” on the Image Comics website (www.imagecomics.com) and immediately went to my local comic shop and asked them to order it.  What was odd was when I went to pick up the “regular” copy and the variant.  The variant was turned backward in the bag and the words “I Hate Fairyland #1 Swearing Var Cvr” were written in Sharpie on the bag.  When I pulled it out and looked at the cover I knew I was going to like this series.

It turned out I got a triple bonus.

First, I always order any variants that come with a comic on my “pull” list.  So, I got the “cursing” variant with my purchase (more on this variant in a minute).  Second, the content reminded me of “Fractured Fairy Tales” that I used to watch as a kid (yes, I’m old, Google it if you don’t know what it is).  Third, in the back of the comic, Skottie was kind enough to write a little ditty about his background and how he got into comics and wound up at Image.  The funny thing is that I had a VERY similar background but without the talent, my own characters and comic rights, and...well...OK, maybe it wasn’t that similar.

On with the review! (a final warning, this is Rated ‘R’, proceed with caution)

The review can be summed up in two words, “Holy Shit”.  The characters, plot line, writing and variant covers are just flat out awesome.  Seriously, flat out awesome.  To be more pleased I would have had to have read it while having sex.

“I Hate Fairyland” has two main characters, Gertrude and Larry, along with a great cast of supporting characters.


The premise is that Gertrude is a happy go-lucky kid who always dreamed of unicorns, rainbows, fairies and the like who one day gets sucked into Fairyland.  In pure shock of what happened Gert asks how she can get home.  She is told by Queen Cloudia that it is simple, all she needs to do is find a key to unlock her way home.  In order to help her find the key she is given two things to help her:  a bug-like thing named Larrington Wentworth III to be her guide and a map to all the known lands.  There was one eensy-weensy little problem.  The map showed dozens of lands and she had no idea which land the key was in or where, in the select land, the key would reside.

The comic then leaps 27 years into the future to find Gert with the same youth of body but a very...well....let’s just say ‘angry’ state of mind...and no key.

Let’s just say that the moon was a little snarky and didn’t last too long in the story.

And the stars didn’t last very long either.

Since Image Comics and Skottie would prefer that you buy the book instead of reading it for free in this blog, let’s skip ahead a bit.

Gert and Larry run into all kinds of trouble including the Slug Lord (who has ‘Slug Life’ written on his Jabba-The-Hut-like body), the Shroom Patrol (mushroom-like policemen who are edible) and Bruud the Brutal.

In all honesty it’s difficult to determine which is better; the writing, the artwork, or the boundaries they crossed.  For example, here is the “Swearing” variant I spoke of earlier (I couldn’t find it online so I had to take a picture of mine.  Told you this review was Rated ‘R’!)



I can hear what you’re saying in your head right now, “OK, so what makes this smutty comic different than any other smutty comic?”  

Since you asked, let me address your question.  I can even do it in one sentence:

It’s a little girl with green hair who transforms from a normal green haired girl into a haggard mentally 30-something green haired girl who physically looks the same, throws the finger, is bad-ass violent and fears no one, and a bug who has gone from a well-intentioned helper to a sarcastic, cigar smoking, antagonist who rags her at every turn, to say nothing of the fact that you have cursing, ultra graphic violence, a strong set of characters, writing that made me belly laugh several times, and has an autobiography written by Skottie Young himself....all with the help of Jean-Francois Beaulieu.

See I told you I could do it in one sentence.

The improvements that could be made to this comic are nonexistent.  I can’t think of a single reason to besmirch this literary marvel.  I don’t say this about many comics but I am actually anxious to get #2 and I sincerely hope that Skottie doesn’t let up on the “Swearing” variants.  I will take them all.

The Comic Whisperer’s Ratings:

Concept and Characters:         2 middle fingers way up

Recommendations:                     Buy this comic (even if it’s only the clean version)!
                                                    Although I can’t see this comic increasing in value much
                                                    beyond it’s cover price, collecting this comic is sure to
                                                    make any collector proficient in sarcasm and profanity.

Follow The Comic Whisperer on Social Media:

Facebook:             The Comic Whisperer
Instagram:             The Comic Whisperer
Twitter:                 @Comic_Whisperer
Website:                www.comicwhisperer.com







No comments:

Post a Comment