Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Wearing a Superhero Costume Can Ruin Your Life

The whole concept of banning certain costumes at school has been gaining momentum for many years.  I have seen it go from just banning certain specific costumes to banning costumes completely. I even know one school that refuses to acknowledge Halloween (to the point of not having a single Halloween decoration).  I admit, I have a tough time understanding some of the rationale.

Fair Disclosure:  I have two grown kids who went through grade school at the beginning of these “bans”, so please dismiss the “you don’t have kids so you wouldn’t understand” thoughts you may be having.


Supporters of the ban on certain costumes say that costumes must not be interpreted by other students as offensive, promoting a religion, scary to a small child, sexualized, discriminating, or associated with gangs.  Costumes with a weapon are also not allowed.  In fact, according to an article in Mental Floss magazine, (http://mentalfloss.com/article/69774/8-halloween-costumes-have-been-banned-schools) there are 8 costumes/costume types that are banned in many schools this Halloween.

1.)  Jesus Christ
2.)  Superheroes
3.)  Geishas, Squaws and Cowboys
4.)  Sombreros
5.)  Trench Coats
6.)  Cross-Dressing
7.)  Sexy Nurse
8.)  Anything with a weapon

As this is a mostly comic book blog let’s just focus on #2, Superheroes.

According to the article an unidentified school sent out a letter, ahead of the holiday, to all parents.  It stated that superhero costumes that included, but were not limited to - Wolverine, Batman, Superman, the Power Rangers, and any of the Fantastic Four - were not allowed.  It went on to say that witches, ghosts, or any costume that would be too scary to a small child, were also not allowed.  The letters apparently used a comic style font for further effect.  Frankly, some of the reasons for these bans should be scary to a small child.

I couldn’t find that particular letter, but I did find this one online.  I could not authenticate it, however.



So why ban superheroes?

Some take it back to 1954 when Frederic Wertham published his book “Seduction of the Innocent” which said comic books were the cause of juvenile delinquency in America.

Some say it’s because the act of playing “superheroes” can lead to acts of violence, such as biting, punching, kicking, etc.

This poster, found online, was authenticated by the author of the article in which it was found.  Note the spelling and grammar errors in this poster authored by two school “Directors”.



Some say it’s because not all kids can afford superhero costumes and it’s not fair to those who can’t.

Some say it’s because certain heroes promote violence.

Although I do agree that children should not be committing acts of violence on one another, I think we need to reexamine how we handle the situation.  Here’s why:

Let’s say, for example, that I tell my son that he cannot dress as Superman for Halloween at his school’s party.  If he asks why I tell him that I don’t want him hitting or punching other kids when they play superhero (I have no clue what the real reason is).  He tells me that he wouldn’t do that but I ask him not to just the same.  Later that night he asks if he’s allowed to wear his Superman costume trick-or-treating.  I tell him it’s OK.  He asks why I’m no longer afraid he will hit other kids while playing superhero.  He wonders why I let him read the comic books, why I let him get the costume, and why we watch the cartoon together.  He asks me why he can play make-believe at home but not in school.  He asks if I ever dressed up as a kid.

Do I tell him the truth?

Do I tell him that I dressed up as Superman at his age and no one at school was emotionally or physically scarred?  Do I show him pictures of me dressed as Quasimodo at his age, with a horribly disfigured mask, and tell him I only ever heard “Cool!” or “Can I try it on?” from classmates?  Should I share my childhood stories where we spent countless hours playing “Green Lantern” or “Spider-Man” at recess with no long lasting effects?

Of course I feel that certain behaviors shouldn’t be allowed in schools.  The problem, however, is a behavioral problem (kicking, bullying, etc.) not a costume problem.  I hope it won’t be much longer before we realize that behavior and grades aren’t improving because kids are no longer allowed to dress up as Reed Richards.  There is a whole generation of people who dressed as superheroes and are full functioning contributors to society.  There are also gatherings of adults who dress as superheroes who are also fully functioning contributors to society...we call them ComicCons.

For those of you who were pinched by a classmate dressed as Flash or Captain America and, due to specifically to that, grew up to be a bitter, angry and hateful adult....please disregard this blog.

Follow The Comic Whisperer on Social Media:

Facebook:        The Comic Whisperer
Instragram:      The Comic Whisperer
Twitter:            @Comic_Whisperer
Website:          www.comicwhisperer.com



No comments:

Post a Comment