Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Why Telos by DC is Such a Breath of Fresh Air

TELOS defined by the dictionary:  An ultimate object or aim.

There is no doubt that there has been a drought in the number of new characters by the big two.  I’ve written about it before and will continue to hammer it home, changing a character from a man to a woman is not, by definition, a new character.

I’m personally frustrated by this as even the most historic of characters can get old in their storylines. For instance, although I may be the world’s biggest Superman fan, not all of his storylines can be thrilling and different.  It’s just reality.



I accept this but then have to ask the question:  where has all the creativity gone?  In an imaginary universe that is only limited by our imagination I find it hard to believe that new characters cannot be developed.  Sure, I know the whole corporate approval process and blah, blah but let’s be real.   Do the corporate bigwigs even read comics and enjoy them or are the comics just another bean to count?

These questions lead me to why Telos is such a breath of fresh air.

I read the whole Convergence storyline and have every comic, its variation, arc and whatnot.  Frankly, it had a great premise and Brainiac was the perfect choice for the heel.  But the best thing to come of it was Telos.



In Telos #1 the typical Brainiac scenario plays itself out:

-I was going to hurt you

-It didn’t work the way I had planned

-Don’t hurt me

-Let’s make a deal but it will only work if you help me first

-Thanks for cooperating

-Now that it all worked out my way I’m going to shaft you

And, thus, a storyline is created.

This one, however, has a different twist.  It wasn’t Superman getting played or any other character we are familiar with...instead it was a NEW character born of Convergence.

There are several things that make Telos a character worth following:

First, Telos really had little choice but to go along with Brainiac because family was involved.  I am married for 27 years and have two grown kids and I can tell you; I would throw myself in front of a train if it meant they could live.  So, the reason for Telos doing this crappy errand is believable.

Second, Telos has a name that describes what he is...the ultimate objective or aim.  His power-set has not fully played out yet, but it appears that he is more than a little formidable.  Whether Telos is named this because Brainiac meant it to be that way or the creators did it as somewhat of an “Easter Egg” (or both) is not real clear.  No matter the reason, Telos is aptly named.



Third, the artists drawing Telos have done an incredible job.  He doesn’t look so similar to another character that you are reminded of them (not mentioning any names....Deadpool).  The blade on the arm, the details in the body and face, and the effects created when he uses his powers are all very well done.  Artistically, Telos is a character that draws attention.



Fourth, the writing is well thought out.  Surprisingly Telos doesn’t burst out and save millions on a dying planet.  Instead the writing is vague enough to the point where the audience isn’t really sure if he’s a good guy or bad guy.  Sure, he’s going to save his family and he’s been played by Brainiac, but that doesn’t define his nature (i.e. Luthor and Brainiac turning on each other in a previous storyline).  The comic left me wondering which side of the fence Telos will fall on.  The part that makes Telos special is that you like him so much you don’t really care.

Last, as I mentioned before, he’s new.  Bright, shiny, fresh out of the package, new.  Say what you want about him REALLY being new in the first pages of Convergence, but this is his coming out party!  I will forever be a Superman fan but nothing beats the smell of a new comic character.

My hat is off to Telos and I can’t wait to follow this storyline.  Way to go, DC!

The Comic Whisperer’s Ratings:

Overall Rating:         45 out of 52 parallel universes
Recommendation:    BUY.  Collect only if he tickles your fancy.

Follow The Comic Whisperer on Social Media:

Facebook:  The Comic Whisperer
Instagram:  The Comic Whisperer
Twitter:       @Comic_Whisperer
Website:     www.comicwhisperer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment